The Grand Victorian Christmas
Gemini and Scorpio
cordially invite you to
The Grand Victorian Christmas
Saturday, Dec 1, 8pm-1am, $30-70
Plus! Victorian Santa portrait photo session, 7-9pm, $25
at the historical Mount Vernon Hotel Museum & Garden, 421 E 61st St
Social media: @gemini_scorpio #geminiandscorpio #gsvictorianball
Join us as we travel back in time to the turn of the century, to an elegant country resort a short carriage ride away from the hustle and bustle of the city...which at that time extended only as far north as 14th Street.
We will begin the night with guided tours through the garden and beautifully preserved mansion. At 9pm, we open the doors to a secret candlelit ballroom and invite you to an immersive and historically accurate Victorian Christmas celebration, complete with a fully trimmed tree, hundreds of candles, and a glorious vintage Santa.
Entertainment and activities:
- Throughout the night, Lacy Rose and her Starling Quartet will be performing original songs inspired by turn of the century themes and music, as well as compositions that would have been performed in Salons in the Nineteenth Century.
- At 8:45pm and 9:45pm, Lacy will also lead us into Victorian carols
- A full array of traditional Christmas treats, from cookies to plum pudding
- Wassail: the aromatic mulled cider that's been a Yuletide tradition since the Middle Ages
- Victorian parlor and card games played with authentic decks from mid-1800s through early 1900s
- DIY amusements from turn-of-century books
1800s through 1919 winter, salon, ballroom, formal or military--or as close as you can get with modern formal. Tartans, velvets and furs. Men: tuxes or tails. Ladies: corsets and long gowns. Costume inspiration Pinterest board (not ours): http://bit.ly/1WvlVyB - and ours for #gsvictorianball research: http://bit.ly/29n5fZm
- Santa photo booth only, 7-9pm: $25 per solo or group sitting, up to 5. A proper holiday portrait taken by a professional photographer, with our Victorian Santa in front of the trimmed tree. No costume is required for the portrait session. Families are welcome. Photos taken in order of arrival.
- Full event and Santa portrait, 8pm entry: $70. Early access to the ballroom and Santa photo session (one person / one sitting), plus the full event. All food and drinks included.
- Full event, 8pm entry: $50. 9pm access to the ballroom, plus the full event. All food and drinks included. (Group tickets available for $45 for parties of 5 or more.)
- Partial event, 10:30pm entry: $30. All drinks included.
About our venue:
Constructed in 1799 as a carriage house for a 23-acre estate, and converted into the Mount Vernon Hotel in 1826, this stone building sits on land originally owned by Colonel William Stephens Smith, and his wife Abigail Adams Smith, daughter of John Adams. The hotel operated until 1833, at which point the house became the home for three generations of a New York City family.
Mount Vernon Hotel Museum & Garden (View)
417 East 61st Street
New York, NY 10065
|Minimum Age: 21|
|Kid Friendly: No|
|Dog Friendly: No|
|Wheelchair Accessible: No|